Friday 9 June 2017

The Grade 8 "Challenge" part 2



Hello Gentle Readers. 2 days ago I posted about how my homeroom class were heading to Liepaja for their end of year field trip and IMYC Exit point for their final middle school unit "Challenge".

We are now on the bus returning to Riga and I am glad to say that we didnt lose anybody and after a couple of very busy days the kids are still happy and chatty.

For me the highlights of the trip include how they all worked together in all of the activities whether they were whole class or smaller groups. I cannot remember hearing any words said in anger or disparaging remarks.
For me personally my favourite part was the Escape from the USSR. This involved running in a group of 13 dodging guards, climbing sand dunes and crawling through tunnels. Even though I am 34 years older than the kids I was happy I was able to keep up.
I must admit gentle reader that our guide said I did not have to climb the rope and could take the easy way round but I did have to wear a gas mask which was horrible.
Today we visited the Children's home in Liepaja and the Grade 8 kids played with the younger children. Our school is full of children who come from very priviledged backgrounds so to see the smiles on their faces and the faces of children who are among the most underprividged was truly a pleasure.
I think all the children who came on this trip found out something about themselves. They discovered that not all challenges can be overcame. But that by attempting these challenges that life throws at them they will learn, grow and become responsible well adjusted adults.



#internationalschoolofriga #IMYC #challenge


No comments:

Post a Comment