Monday 5 June 2017

Top 10 fun facts about Guangzhou (C-70)

你好
Nihao Gentle Readers. Yes I am showing off my Chinese because 70 days from now Lena, Robert and I will be taking off for China.


As I said before we will be living near to the city of Guangzhou so as part of my China countdown I present to you my fun facts about the city we will soon call home.



1. Guangzhou is China's 3rd largest city with a population of around 11.5 million.

2. The European traders who started visiting the city in the 16th century called the city Canton. It is famous for the Cantonese language and the cuisine which is the most widely eaten in the world.



3. Guangzhou has one of the oldest Mosques in the world. Huaisheng mosque was built around 630 by the prophet's uncle.

4. Guangzhou was the capital of China on 3 seperate occasions. 1925-1927, 1931 and 1949.

5. Due to its location in the tropics it is sometimes called the "City of Flowers"


6. In 878 around 120,000 foreigners were massacred in the city.

7. The 600m tall Canton Tower is the 7th tallest building in the world and the tallest with an observation deck open to the elements.


8. Guangzhou is the most important port in China.

9. October to December and April to May are the best times to visit Guangzhou.

10. Guangzhou was one end of the Maritime Silk Road.



#guangzhou #china #c-70

No comments:

Post a Comment