Friday 18 August 2017

Chopsticks

Hello again Gentle Readers.

I grew up in England; a country famous for many things.

Royalty, Cricket, the stiff upper lip, the weather and many many more that bore the socks off most non-English people.
One thing that English people pride themselves on is our dinner table etiquette and that means using a knife and fork.

Chopsticks were something I only saw in TV shows or movies and I never got to learn how to use them properly.

I didnt even use them until I moved to Latvia and even then I just skewered the sushi with them like I was spear fishing.

Now I live in China.....whoops!

Chopsticks are everywhere. Now at home we can use forks or spoons but today Gentle Reader, yes you guessed it, we went out to eat.

The establishment was a rather rustic looking place in the village near our apartment and using the handy photographs on the wall we ordered the noodles.
We settled down at our table while bemused locals studied us and openly discussed our presence. Our food came and yes.....they had no forks.
So I picked up 2 hefty looking chopsticks and started eating.....badly. I cannot pick things up with chopsticks, i just try to balance food carefully on them and shovel it into my mouth before it falls off.

The Chopstick Champion in action LOL

My inexperience in the art of chopstick dining was painfully obvious and I began to hear the customers and staff laughing at me. Embarrassed I persevered and I actually began to find it funny myself. This broke the ice and our fellow patrons and I were laughing together
One of the girls working there even asked if  she could have her photo taken with us.

The food was really good and very cheap. All three of us ate for less than €2 and we will definitely go back soon.....although I shall definitely practice my chopstick method.

The Restaurant

The Menu
#chopsticks #fittinginwiththelocals #china

No comments:

Post a Comment