Saturday 27 June 2015

Lazarus Rising: Chapter 9

Hey Gentle Reader, its been a while but here it is. Chapter 9 of my novel. Enjoy!!


Chapter 9.

The church was emptying slowly. Lazarus could hear the comments from the men and women around him.
"He hasn't changed a bit." one said.
'Still so handsome" said another.
"Its a tragedy what happened" agreed a third.

Even the Metcalf's were talking about Robert Foxworth's miraculous return to Stelling Minnis.
"He hasn't aged a day" the doctor said in an envious way.
"Very handsome man" his wife agreed.
"Who is he?" asked Samuel.
"Well" started his father, "Its a long story."
"Please father?" begged the boy.
"Well, lets see if I can remember.* The doctor seemed to be accessing hidden memories, closing his eyes to focus on events that had happened a long time ago. Even Lazarus was listening intently because he wanted to know more about the family.

"Charles Foxworth married Abigail Bainbridge in 1787; she was the only daughter of the local squire and lord of the manor. A few months after they had wed, her father died in a hunting accident, fell off his horse and got trampled poor fellow. I was only a boy at the time.
Well Charles, as husband, inherited the lot. The luckiest man in the world he was. He made his fortune through slavery and then overnight became a land owner and Lord of the manor."

They had reached the doctor's house and as the family were preparing to enter Lazarus pulled the octor to one side. He was feeling confused about what he had seen and heard and the feeling of uneasiness that he had felt in the church had returned.

"I'm sorry doctor" he said, "Do you mind if I take a walk and clear my head?'
"Of course my friend, why don't you go and explore the village."
"Mr Lazarus", Samuel interrupted, "Can I show you around, like we talked about earlier?'
"Of course you can, I would be very happy if you did that, thank you."
"Come on then, what are we waiting for?"
"Easy now Samuel", his mother scolded him, "Remember Mr Lazarus is still recovering."
"Its fine Mrs Metcalf" Lazarus said, "Come on Sam, show me everything."

_____________________________________

The boy led him by the hand and they headed up the hill which Samuel told him would be the perfect place to start their adventure. It wasn't that steep or very high but the view was good and Lazarus could see the whole village.
So Samuel, where are we?" he asked.
"This is Maxwell hill, there used to be a windmill here but it burned down a few years ago."
He gazed down onto the village.
"There is my house" he pointed and smiled. "Theres the church and my school and you can see the green and everything. I love coming up here, especially on nice summer days like this one."
"That's the Foxworth house down there isn't it?" Lazarus asked quietly.
"Yes."
"If you dont mind Samuel, I want to go down there. You dont need to come with me, but I have to go and see it for myself."
"I dont understand Mr Lazarus."
"Since I came to Stelling Minnis, I cant stop thinking about it and because my memory is still foggy, I need to know why or I may go mad. Do you understand now?"
"I think so" the boy replied, "By finding out about the house, you will find out about yourself."
"Thats right. Thank you Sam, but I shall find my own way down. This is something I need to do alone."
"Alright Mr Lazarus, I shall go and find my friends, see you later."
With that the boy turned and ran down the hill with the energy and enthusiasm of youth. Lazarus watched him go and smiled to himself.
He took a deep breath and strode down the hill towards the big house in the woods.

____________________________________

When he reached the foot of the hill he suddenly realized that there was no direct path to the house from his position and he decided to walk through the woods.
Although not big the forest was tightly packed and inside the canopy overheard had blocked out almost all the sunlight. The trees were old and gnarled and the air was very still.
Tree roots threatened to trip him with each step he took and rogue branches snagged him and tore his shirt. Another one hit him in the face and gave him a painful scratch on his cheek.
After what seemed like an age he stepped from the trees and found himself on the edge of what seemed to be the edge of a large ornamental garden. He looked around and saw that this garden had not been cared for in a long time. Plants were growing out of control and weeds covered the paths and patios. Hedges that had been carefully grown and sculpted were now messy and overgrown.

He realized that no one was about and that no one had stepped on this ground for a very long time. He walked slowly through the maze of paths that ran throughout the garden. He instinctively knew the shortest route towards the house although he had no recollection of being here before.

He turned into a more open area of the garden and there in the centre was a large ornamental pond. It was kidney shaped and at the centre was a marble statue of a woman holding a baby.
The sight made Lazarus shake with fear and he nearly stumbled. He remembered something; something bad, but he couldn't remember details, just feelings. A feeling of nausea was rising in his throat and sweat was beading his face in his panicked state.
He wanted to run but his legs had turned to jelly and he stumbled and fell onto his knees. He reached out with one arm and grabbed the marble edge of the pond and dragged himself up so that he was gazing down into the dark, grimy water.
His reflection looked back at him and seemed to laugh at his distress.
"What's the matter Lazarus?" the reflection mocked, "Feeling guilty?"
"Who am I?" he asked the reflection.
"No, no my friend. Its much more fun watching you suffer. You will discover your identity, but only when the time is right."

The reflection seemed to laugh at him again and Lazarus tried to grab at the face in the water but all he did was break the surface with a splash that drenched him in the smelly, dank water.






No comments:

Post a Comment