Wednesday 24 June 2015

Liepaja

Hello gentle reader. For the last couple of days Lena and I have been visiting her mum in Liepaja. For those of you who dont know Latvia, Liepaja is in the south west of the country not far from the border with Lithuania.

Liepaja is a small city very different to Riga but it does have a lot of friendly people, gorgeous buildings and a history all of its own. It is a sea side town and every summer it hosts a great many tourists who enjoy the warm hospitality and the warm sunshine and beautiful beaches.


Part of the resson for visiting was I was going to meet Lena's dad Aldis. Today was the big day and when he called to say he had arrived my heart skipped a beat. I know it sounds silly but Lena told me that her dad had never met any of her previous boyfriends and I was a little bit nervous to say the least.

The first two places he took us to were graveyards to see his mum and dads graves. Then we headed out into the woods and I must admit I was hearing "Dueling Banjos" from the movie Deliverence. Luckily he was just taking us to see his land where he and his brother are growing fruit and vegetables.



We headed back to town and Aldis took us on a cool guided tour of the town. 
We saw the Soviet beach defences that sre all falling down, a wind turbine that was turning so fast it was making a whoosh whoosh noise that was a little scary. We saw wave boarders and a beautiful old cathedral and when he dropped us of at home he gave us a beautiful set of bedding as a wedding present. 

My worries were unfounded and I am glad. My future father in law is a nice guy.













No comments:

Post a Comment