Thursday 17 September 2015

10 fun facts about Sweden

Time to chew on a meat ball and get all Scandinavian Gentle reader. I have many Swedish friends and they regularly say to me that my blog needs more Abba references. The blog also gets its fair share of Swedes seeking out my wisdom and nonsense so here I present my top 10 Swedish factoids for your delectation.
 

89% of all Swedes speak English.
 

New parents are entitled to 480 days of paid maternity or paternity leave.

In Sweden it is illegal to call your child "Ikea" or "Elvis". 
Is Ikea a boys name or a girls?

Laws limiting what you can name your baby can be strict in some countries.
Ikea names sofas, coffee tables and bookshelves after places in Sweden.

The Ikea Expedit shelving.
Sweden pays $187 every month to children in High School.

Sweden had a King Charles VII but not a Charles I to VI.

Swedish was not the official language until 2009.

Stockholm, the capital is built on 14 islands.

In 2011, a man was arrested in Sweden for trying to "split the atom" on his kitchen table.
In 1954, an Indian Buddha statue was found by archaeologists at an 8th century Viking settlement.
#swedenfacts

2 comments:

  1. Karl IX 1599 - 1611
    Karl X Gustav 1654-1660
    Karl XI 1660 - 1697

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Granpa Haglund was from Stockholm and I was visiting Upala in 75, beautiful and some nice ladies too . . well about it Taksa Taksa . . and I am a Bible student for the Christadelphians . Seems the signs of the times are getting complicated . . lots of sad things too . . Thorsen still running over to Denmark?

    ReplyDelete