Monday 16 February 2015

Welcome to Rome 2

Rome day 2
Lena's alarm went off at 6.15 this morning. I wondered why it was so dark.

Breakfast at a more suitable hour consisted of a very large tasty croissant and a very small tasty Cappucino.

Today was ancient Rome day so after Lena had told me that "No you can't wear a toga" we set off in search of the Colluseum. Lena knew the way so we set off. I was very excited.
I had been to El Djem in Tunisia a few years ago but the sheer scale of the place is what impressed me the most. I was also struck by the number of non-Italian hawkers who were trying to sell us "selfie sticks" After saying no in a polite way about 100 times i was seriously tempted to buy one so I could jab it up the guys arse.

The Roman Forum was spectacular. Great views over Rome, including my first view of St. Peters Basilica. Being in the forum gave us a real insight into what life in Rome under the Caesars was like. Streets such as Via Nuova with their little shops on either side gave us a tantalising glimpse back into history.

The weather today was not that unpleasent but every now and then the wind would  blow very hard so Lena borrowed my hoodie cardigan. When it got too warm for her she would take it off and hang it on my shoulder bag. i was wearing my lovely and fabulous pink jumper so i was cosy for most of the day.

We left the forum to find lunch and discovered street opera. Four amazing singers treating a large crowd to arias from The Marriage of Figaro, The Barber of Seville and Carmen plus many more.

Lunch was spent at a little street bistro called Valorani's. http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Rome-144659/Restaurants-Rome-Caffe_Bar_Valorani-BR-1.html
Lena had spaghetti carbonara and I had Ravioli, we also had a glass of wine each some bruscietta  and dessert for only 13 euros a head.

After lunch we saw the Monumento Vittorio Emanuele II which looks a bit like a giant wedding cake. Lena thinks the guy must have had a very little cock because the building is so huge.

We next headed to the Trevi fountain but when we got there we discovered that due to rennovations there wasn't a single drop of water in the place and just a load of scaffolding and some surly looking workmen. We  could still throw coins, I threw three, but some of the romance is lost when you suddenly realise you are tossing your hard earned cash into a plastic bathtub.

By now I was flagging, age and infirmity dog me wherever I go, but Lena wanted to climb the Spanish Steps so up we went. 135 steps and I counted everyone. When we reached the top and I was gasping for breath and Japanese girls were squealing like Miss Piggy on Helium a guy asked me if I was Russian; Russian Me? Nah!!

There was a good walk home to the hotel via the supermarket so Lena could buy wine in a carton. Need to rest my feet are killing me.






No comments:

Post a Comment