Thursday 12 March 2015

RIP Terry Pratchett


It was with a heavy heart I found out today that my favourite author, Sir Terry Pratchett, died today after a long battle with Alzhiemers disease. 
Sir Terry Pratchett

Born in 1948, he worked as a journalist and as Press Officer for the Central Electricity Generating Board, specifically during the building of three nuclear power stations. He famously said that one day he would write a memoir of this time but doubted "anyone would believe it'"

Although he had written several novels, it was The Discworld series of novels that made him famous. The first of these "The Colour of Magic" was published in 1983 and became an instant bestseller.


I first discovered Terry in 1989. I was not the succesful man I am today and was browsing through a mobile library when the lady suggested I try one of his books. I owe that lady a lot because her recommendation changed me from part time to avid reader overnight and I read all I could by him over the next few years.
I had always like the Tolkien style fantasy novels but these were something else, they poked fun at the overly serious style of the fantasy genre with silly gags, useless wizzards and ofbeat charcters. As he grew older Pratchett also began to use much more contemporary themes in his novels.  Overpaid footballers, Hollywood, beurocracy and many other facets of the modern world became synonimous with his novels.

Terry Pratchett was diagnosed with a rare form of Alzhiemers in December 2007 and since then he became a major advocate for Alzhiemers research and the campaign for assisted suicide.  He even made a TV documentary in which he visited the Dignitas hospital in Switzerland and argued vehemently for his right to choose when he died.
Throughout his illness he kept writing and his last book The Shepherd's crown will be published soon.
Sine being diagnosed he published 5 discworld books and several others including Dodger and The Long Earth.

It is sad to think that I will never read another new Pratchett novel. I guess I will have to go and read them all again.

On the news of his death his Twitter account simply said "Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert and its endless night." The last post before the account was suspended simply said "the end."

When he was interviewed in 2012 he said that he would like to die listening to Thomas Tallis' "Spem in Alium."

I hope he got his wish. 
Good night, sweet dreams and Rest In Peace.


#terrypratchett #discworld #alzhiemers #dignitas #speminalium

No comments:

Post a Comment