Tuesday 7 April 2015

Lazarus Rising Chapter 5 part 2

It has been a while since I posted any new material Gentle Reader so here at last is the next part of chapter 5.

---------------------------------------------------
The parlour was cozy and bright light from the morning sun was streaming through a large bay window. On one wall was a hearth with a stout but unremarkable mantelpiece with several pans hanging from it. There was a woman there too, she was facing away from Lazarus as he entered the room and for a second Lazarus was afraid to say anything as he seemed totally focused on the task she was performing.
"So, you are finally up then." she stated without even turning her head.
"Yes" Lazarus replied, "You must be Mrs. Metcalf?"
"Yes, but you can call me Elizabeth." She turned around and flashed him a smile.
"Elizabeth, yes...I'm...."
"Lazarus" she interrupted, "I heard."
"I want to thank you for your hospitality:" he said.
"Not hospitality Mr. Lazarus. Christian charity. I couldn't have lived with myself if I had let someone lie in the gutter."
"Thank you anyway."
"You're welcome. Are you hungry?"
"Yes thank you, I am."
"Then sit down and eat, before you collapse again/"
He sat down at the large kitchen table and helped himself to some roughly baked bread and jam.
"Drink some milk Mr. Lazarus, its fresh from the cow"
As he reached for the milk jug the door was pushed open roughly and Samuel came bowling in all arms and legs.
"Hello again." he said with a grin.
"Hello Samuel, where have you been?" Lazarus asked/
"Up to no good" his mother said before he had a chance to answer.
"No mother, I've been up at the big house. There is a lot of excitement/"
"Why, what's going on? she asked.
"Someone is moving in" Samuel answered, "there are men with boxes and everything/"
"Well its nothing to do with us" his mother said, "sit down and eat your breakfast. It will soon be time for church."
"Yes Mama."
The boy sat down and looked over at Lazarus
"Are you coming to church with us Mr. Lazarus?"
Before he could even reply his mother interrupted "Of course he is Samuel; eat up and get washed, we will need to leave soon."
"Is there anything I can do?" Lazarus asked,
"Thank you but no Mr. Lazarus. You just sit and enjoy your breakfast. My husband will return soon and then we shall all go to church together."
"Thank you. Can you tell me about Stelling Minnis? I saw the name in a dream but I have no real memory of it. Just flashes really."
"Well" she began, "300 souls live in the parish. There are several large farms, the forest, the river and the green. One good shop which serves our needs and an inn. The inn can get a bit rowdy sometimes. There's the church of course and once a month there is market which sets up on the village green."
"Maybe when I am ready, I can take a walk around the village Samuel, will you come with me and help me explore?"
"Yes, Mr. Lazarus, that would be splendid. Can I mother, can I be Mr. Lazarus' guide?"
"I don't see any reason why not" his mother said, "but your chores come first."
"Yes Mama" he sighed sulkily, but he glanced at Lazarus and winked.

Lazarus smiled at that. It was normal. Normal had not been part of his life in a while.

___________________________________________







No comments:

Post a Comment