Friday 10 April 2015

Why I love........ The Wire



Hello again gentle reader, I am starting a new theme today, one that I hope will grow and grow over the coming months. Like most of you, I have some favourite TV shows and I want to share my reasons for liking them with you.
First up we have The Wire, probably the single greatest cop show ever made. Originally broadcast between 2002 and 2008 and airing on HBO it ran for 5 seasons over 60 episodes.

1. The History
The 2 men who created the show David Simon and Ed Burns both came from the city of Baltimore where the show is set. Simon was a journalist who dealt with the police homicide division. Burns was an ex homicide detective.

The show got a lot of praise from critics and fans because of its realism. The reason I love the show so much was that when watching I felt totally immersed in the story.

2. The Location
Filmed on the streets and in locations around Baltimore, The Wire used genuine slums, terraces and street corners to show just how dark the Baltimore drug scene could be.


3. The Impact
Few shows have had the cultural impact of the Wire, although barely watched by US audiences when it first aired, word of mouth created such a buzz that DVD sales broke records all over the world. Don't take my word for it here are some reviews.

‘One of the most engrossing shows around’ –The Guardian
‘The best show on TV’ –GQ, TIME, the Chicago Tribune, Slate, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Philadelphia Daily News
‘smart…dazzling…a staggering achievement’ –Entertainment Weekly
‘How good is The Wire? Put it this way: The Wire’s so good, I’ve lost count of the number of people who’ve approached or emailed me just to thank ME for convincing THEM to watch it. The Wire’s so good, I’m jealous of anyone who hasn’t seen it yet, because they get to discover it anew. The Wire’s so good, it’s come to an end. Because that’s what good things do, the bastards.’ - Charlie Brooker writing in the Guardian

These are just a few of the reasons I have for loving The Wire.

See you again soon for more great TV.

#thewire #baltimore #whyilove

No comments:

Post a Comment