Thursday 9 April 2015

Lazarus Rising - Chapter 6 (part 2)

The two months that they spent together passed quickly in a beautiful, joyous haze. Robert hoped that it would never end but he knew that soon he would have to leave. As the two young people became closer, their friendship, as so often happens with young people, turned to love and that love turned to passion.



One night, Robert and Abigail had been down by the river watching the stars in the clear summer night sky. Robert told her that not even the majesty of nature could be as beautiful as she was and they had kissed passionately. Later in the windmill that was her home with the sails creaking above them and the machinery clanking below they made love for the first time. It wasn't romantic, magical love but both of them were happy they had done it and when they were finished he held her close.

They had kept each other a secret from their respective families. Abigail's father was a well known drunk in the village and would frequent the inn far too frequently for Abigail's liking. Abigail was basically left alone to do as she wished by her father. He was never cruel or abusive to his daughter but he was quick to anger and she decided that it would be best that the least he knew about Robert the better.

Robert's father seemed to be permanently angry at him for what had happened to his mother and he openly blamed Robert for her death. This was one of the reasons Robert had to be sent away to school. Even his own father could not bear to look at him because he looked so much like the wife he had lost. Georges temper had not mellowed with the years and there had been rumours that he had even beaten a servant so badly that he had lost an eye.

Robert was happy that his father stayed away from Stelling Minnis and he dreaded the time they spent together. When Mrs Stokes told him that his father was returning to see him before he returned to school he shivered with fear. He knew such a lack of respect for ones father was wrong, but he felt justified in his opinion of him. When he told Abigail that his father was coming home she told him not to worry and that all would be well. He wasn't sure about that but he knew he should finally stand up to him.

The day his father was due to return, two events that would shape his life forever occurred. He met Abigail as usual by the river where they had first met and they embraced passionately.
"My love" he said, "I am so happy you came."
"I am happy too, but I have something to say. Promise me you wont be angry."
"Of course not Abigail. I love you and nothing you could say could anger me."
"I am with child" she admitted with her head bowed.

He was temporarily stunned but he quickly regained his composure and he lifted her up in his arms and smiled.
"Then that settles it" he said "I was going to tell my father about us tonight, but now I can tell him that I do not intend to return to school and I shall stay here with you."

Tears began to roll down her cheeks.
"No, we cannot" she said. "I told my father and he has gone mad with rage. He told me he would kill you Robert. I'm so sorry but not even a powerful man like your father will be able to stop him."

"It is my mess and I intend to deal with whatever happens. I will face  your father and ask for your hand in marriage. Surely he will see reason"

Suddenly from behind him he heard a vice filled with rage.
"Reason! I will give you reason you little bastard. I'm going to beat you to death for touching my little girl."
Abigail's father was holding a club and he was pointing it menacingly at Robert.
"Please sir stop! You are angry  and have every right to be. Please don't do anything that you shall regret."

The older man's anger could not be calmed and he ran at Robert with the club raised and he swung it towards him. The swing however caused him to lose his balance and a combination of drink, anger and the wet riverbank caused him to slip and fall. He hit his head hard against a rock and hit the fast flowing water with a loud splash. Abigail screamed as her fathers lifeless body started to float away on the current. Robert tried to catch him but with his face down the miller's body soon disappeared from view.
"Oh my God!" Abigail screamed, "What have you done?"
"But darling, you saw what happened, it was a terrible accident. I was trying to save him."
"Murderer!" she gasped, "Get away from me."

Panicked, Robert fled. He had gone from new father to murderer in the blink of an eye. He had to get back to the house and talk with his father, he would know what to do. He ran all the way back to the house and he arrived gasping just as his father got down from his coach.
"Father, I am glad to see you."
"Really Robert, I find that very hard to believe."
"No father, something terrible has happened and I need your help."
"Come inside, we can talk in my study."

A few minutes later father and son were standing face to face and Robert recounted everything that had happened by the river. His father listened quietly to all Robert had to say showing little emotion. Eventually when Robert had finished talking his father said, "So you have killed two people by drowning."
Robert was stunned, he stood there speechless.
"First your mother, now this Colville man. You have a knack for it. Do you remember when you were a young boy and you found out that I ordered sick slaves to be tossed overboard to drown? You called me a killer. No Robert, you are the killer and I will not help you."

Years of anger and resentment at his father exploded inside him. He launched himself at his father grabbing him by the throat and trying to force him down. He was not strong enough though and his father sent him flying with a single punch to the chest. Before he could recover, Robert saw his father's silver handled cane swinging down towards his head, He managed to fend off the first blow with his arm but the pain was excruciating. He couldn't stop the second blow and it hit him sharply on the temple where it split the skin and blood spilled from the wound onto his father's Indian carpet.

"Run Robert, run. Never return while I am alive. You are no longer my son. Get out, before you curse the rest of us."

With blood pouring from his head and tears in his eyes, Robert fled into the trees behind the house. His father got his wish, he never saw him again.




No comments:

Post a Comment